A COMMON QUESTION MANY PARENTS HAVE IS, "WHEN SHOULD I TAKE MY CHILD TO SEE A DENTIST FOR THE FIRST TIME?"
Answer: To get your child familiar with the dental environment it’s a good idea to start bringing them with you for your cleaning appointments starting at age two. We call these appointments “happy visits."
Another way to remember when to bring children to the dentist is the rule: "First visit by first birthday or first tooth."
WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE OFFICE
At the first visit, your Hygienist will:
- Review your child's history
- Respond to your concerns
- Discussions will include your child's overall health:
- Teeth Bite (how do your child's teeth come together)
- Soft tissues such as gums and cheeks
- Oral habits such as thumb sucking
- Cavity risk factors such as, diet, hygiene practices, fluoride use and family history of cavities
- Demonstrate how to clean your child's teeth and give you a chance to practice
- We will make specific recommendations about home care, including, hygiene, diet and products
- Finally, we will suggest a schedule for follow-up care personalized to you and your child's needs